Friday September 22
Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 3 days, we are “PRACTICING” our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the next 3 days! Please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
No one likes talking about it, but it happens. The main bread winner in the family has suffered a serious accident. They have been in a coma in the hospital for weeks and it doesn’t look good. You’re not sure where money will come from if they can’t get back to work, and tough decisions will need to be made considering their long-term care. To make matters worse things are falling apart at home. Going to the grocery store is far beyond your capacity to manage so you’ve been eating out of your three-month supply. Spending extra money on eating out is not an option. You have been so busy with the hospital that you forgot to pay some bills and your water got turned off.
Goal: PRACTICE eating your three month supply foods, live without running water, and evaluate your crisis plans.
- Use the recipes and ingredients from your three month supply plan for your meals today.
- Revisit your three month supply plan. Inventory what you have on hand.
- Determine how long you will be able to survive without buying more food.
- Discuss with your loved ones (with sensitivity depending on ages) what would happen should a parent die.
- Put a plan in place on how bills will get paid if the person paying them should die.
- Update or research your living will
- Cook your meals and clean up without using running water.
- Do a load of laundry today without using running water.
- You can’t waste water on flushing toilets so figure out an alternative solution for potty issues today (this emergency toilet kit could be helpful).
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- You cannot use any perishable items as you have not been to the grocery store in a while.
- DO NOT USE RUNNING WATER AT ALL TODAY.
- Go and shut off the main water supply to your house to avoid temptation to use water (view tutorial).
- Locate the nearest source of fresh water to your home, stock up on some extra water since your plumbing is shut off.
Check back first thing in the morning!
MAKE SURE to visit the group page on Facebook to discuss your progress and share tips. It’s a great place to learn from other people’s experience and knowledge.